Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Rainy Days of London

The title says it all... almost. It leaves out a very important factor. It was damn cold and windy as well. Therese, Jim, the Carr gang and I persevered ... barely. Everyone was reaching deep to stay positive and upbeat. Admittedly, I fell off the wagon several times ... particularly in the mornings. [Side note... I inherited the Pat Sheehan Gotsch syndrome, which involves at times severe anti-morning behavior. There is no cure for it... and not much I can do to stop it once it starts. I recommend staying clear when noted signs are apparent: growling, grunting, shortness, avoidance of any and all kinds of conversations, and most of all, the clasping of the coffee mug as if it is a life jacket.]

There was a lot to see, and the Carr Gang had an aggressive tour schedule. I joined on some of the activities and backed out on others due to either (a) no interest, (b) I could not get my act together in time, (c) I was delayed, or (d) I had to work. When off on my own I pulled my typical move and just skulked about town, getting a little lost, hitting the local coffee shops and basically just soaking it all in. It was fantastic. Yes, there are plenty of great historical things to see in London, but I prefer just checking the scene out and people watching. I like to take the tourist sites in moderation. :-)

When together, we hit some of the obvious spots: Buckingham Palace, the War Museum, the Changing of the Guard, Tower Bridge, the Eye, etc. We had a great time exploring these spots and taking various goofy pictures.

Now off to Paris…

No comments: