Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A big hello from Kabul!!!

Hi all! I am sorry it has taken me so long to drop you an update. It has been a busy few weeks here, and the work never seems to end. Life in Kabul is plodding along. We are restricted in movement at this time, so any night activities are out unless you consider whooping it up with a bottle of water and a laptop is a good time!

A little over a week ago we had a few members of the HQ staff head back to DC. Therefore a going away dinner was in order. Someone from our office ended up hiring a local band dubbed the Taliband… I am assuming here that this is not the real name of the band… You have to appreciate the sense of humor of the folks who work here. In any event, the band was very good, playing mostly local music. They snuck in the theme song to Titanic, which was very interesting. All in all … it was a very good time.

I promised Patty the other day that I would try to get some pictures of Kabul posted. Since we are not really allowed out and about, I tried to take photos of street life the morning after a major snow fall from the car. I had some good pictures taken … folks trying to peddle their bikes through the freshly fallen snow … random shop owners shoveling snow off their front walkways, etc. However, in my eagerness to take photos on this beautiful morning, I did not realize we were in a restricted area until it was too late. Security guards stopped our vehicle and asked for the camera. Anyway, to make a long story short … they let me off with a warning, returned my camera to me (with the photos deleted… of course) and we were off on our merry way a little over a half hour later (me a bit more deflated knowing some cool shots were forever gone). Yep… as I’ve told our folks here in the Kabul office, I pulled a dumb blond move. Given the level of stupidity on my part, I thought the security forces acted very professionally.

I was able to get a few shots in before I made it to the office after this little incident. They are not very exciting. It was hard to take photos because the road became really crappy and I was (admittedly) bummed that the photos I took before we hit the secured area were deleted!!! Oh well, maybe next snow storm…

I hope all is well with you. I will try to write more soon.

No comments: